Saturday, December 6, 2008

At this point I have all the main interactivity finished for guiding the user to the content. What I have left to do is insert the supporting content into each website's critique. Before I begin that process I would like to get some feedback on the current interactivity:

View website

Is it easy to navigate and are the navigational elements easy to find?

There is a combination of interactive styles on the main page: mouse-over events and mouse-click events. Do you feel this combination is good or should all the arrows always be mouse-overs or mouse-clicks?

Do you feel this site needs an 'About' section to explain the purpose or should that already be incorporated without a separate section?

Does the site design/interactivity compete with the content?

2 comments:

rob said...

Is it easy to navigate and are the navigational elements easy to find?
I stumbled over the arrow acting as a roll-over to expand. I would recommend allowing the user to click on the summary box to expand the selection. Roll-over to expand is not a common UI.

There is a combination of interactive styles on the main page: mouse-over events and mouse-click events. Do you feel this combination is good or should all the arrows always be mouse-overs or mouse-clicks?
Once I figured out that rollover expanded, I liked that I could skip to the other arrows by clicking them. If you plan to keep the rollover, you might want to detect a mouse click on the summary and have it blink the associated expander arrow to help the user understand that they need to move their mouse over that to move forward.

Do you feel this site needs an 'About' section to explain the purpose or should that already be incorporated without a separate section?

I'm a big fan of about sections. I basically always expect a header / footer with a link to an about page and a contact page.

Does the site design/interactivity compete with the content?

I'd suggest building the enlarged content boxes in a single expanding or other type of animation rather than a vertical and horizontal paint.

Nice job, keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Whole-heartedly agree with Rob on this one.

The rollover UI is uncommon, but a nice touch, I got used to it after playing with it. In fact, having it be a rollover function made me want to figure out how your site operated. However, I think that's something only I would do. Most people, like my Father - who is terrible with computers - would be confused by this feature.

About sections are NECESSARY. Even if they're a block of info on the main page.

For the moment, the interactivity is what I notice first, and what keeps me on your page. That maaay have to do with the lack of content, it may not. Throw it in there. My suspicion is that I'll still be drawn to the interactivity.

Looking good though! I wish I could have gone the flash route like yourself, but I'll save that adventure for another day.

Cheers,

Post a Comment